Advancing IT Organizational Performance Against Enterprise Goals
Gartner ITScores are holistic sets of interactive maturity assessments designed to help CIOs and IT leaders evaluate the maturity of both the IT organization as a provider of IT services, and the enterprise as a consumer of information technology. Unlike other IT maturity assessments, a Gartner IT Score measures your organization's capabilities within the context of an enterprise culture, behaviors and capacity for leadership – factors that dramatically impact IT's effectiveness and its ability to contribute real business value.
How Do You Use ITScores?
Your ITScore provides a holistic view that goes beyond functional/role disciplines to arrive at a nuanced, comprehensive assessment that is truly diagnostic and produces meaningful recommended actions. The ITScore differs from other maturity models in important ways:
- It not only examines IT leadership effectiveness and incorporates business behaviors, perceptions and expectations, but also tests how your capabilities are integrated and their combined power leveraged for enterprise advantage.
- It is outcome-oriented. Maturity models usually focus on attributes and have little to say about whether they are good or bad or how they contribute to desired results. Your ITScore focuses not just on attributes but also on contribution and results.
- It is practical. Real maturity is neither linear nor unidirectional. Achieving a state of near-perfection in key processes or attributes can actually have negative consequences. Your ITScore takes this into account.
- Gartner provides complementary research that helps you understand where you should be on the maturity score based on business realities, not just where you are or what is required to advance. Other maturity models fall short here, leading enterprises to conclude that higher levels of maturity are always "better".
How Do ITScores Work?
ITScores are based on three components: Organizational Questions, CIO Survey and Role Surveys
- Organization Questions, in conjunction with at least one of the CIO/Role surveys, capture how well your enterprise leverages IT to improve business outcomes.
- CIO Survey evaluates your IT organization from a managerial and leadership perspective.
- Role Surveys assess eight individual roles and disciplines within your IT organization, measuring the effectiveness of IT leaders in developing and exploiting core IT organizational capabilities.
Take as many of the available surveys as you choose. The more surveys your organization completes, the more accurate your results and the more applicable the recommendations.
Surveys can be taken more than once to track progress, and the tool supports what-if scenarios that can be stored for later reference.
Each time you take the Organizational Questions survey in conjunction with at least one of the CIO/Role surveys, you receive a maturity score and recommendation report for the specific capability or perspective examined, as well as an enterprise IT maturity score and accompanying explanation. The enterprise IT maturity score is updated and refined with each linked, completed ITScore survey.