26 years at Gartner, 29 years industry experience
Location: Germany | Language(s): English, German
Roles and Responsibilities
Bettina Tratz-Ryan is a Vice President Research and responsible for intelligent urban ecosystem research that includes smart city and industry stakeholders, as well as the digitization efforts in the manufacturing ecosystems. As part of her smart city research, Ms. Tratz-Ryan analyzes the strategic citizen impact and business value of data and information analytics, Internet of Things, open data marketplaces, applications and complex architectures for cities, the development of digital society and their industrial environment. Her expertise integrates technology models with services and business measures for subsystems such as transportation, mobility, microgrid and buildings. She also works on the business impact related to the Industrie 4.0 framework. She understands how to build green IT and environmental sustainability roadmaps compliant to DIN EN ISO 14001 (1221-2009). With Gartner for 21 years, she has more than 26 years of industry experience in IT networking for telecommunications, utilities, transportation, healthcare and local governments. She received two Gartner Thought Leadership awards in 2015 for her smart city research, as well as her contribution to business impact scenarios of smart machines. She was named by StateTech Magazine as one of 30 must-read state and local government IT influencers in 2019.
Ms. Tratz-Ryan joined Gartner with the acquisition of Northern Business Information (NBI). At NBI, she was responsible for the European residential broadband equipment and services market. Prior to joining NBI, she worked as a consultant analyst with Frost & Sullivan, where she covered video and broadband issues in the U.S. Before Frost & Sullivan, she worked at Siemens Medical Systems in Germany and in the U.S., conducting research on customer buying centers, healthcare reform, marketing strategies and customer order management.
- Frost & Sullivan, Consultant Analyst, 3 years
- Siemens, Research Analyst, 1 year
- B.A., University of Passau/Germany
- ISO 140001 certification (UMF-TUEV)
- M.B.A., University of Passau/Germany, specializing in Marketing, Organizational Functions and Personnel Management, as well as U.S./U.K. Business Administration
- 2015 Gartner Thought Leadership Award Smart Cities
- 2015 Gartner Thought Leadership Award Smart Machines
- 2018 Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council Award 2015
- 2019 StateTech Magazine One of 30 must-read state and local government IT influencers
- 2021 Handelsblatt Germany Top 50 Women in Tech Influencers
Team / Peers
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
ANALYST INQUIRY More
Connect With an Analyst
Schedule an appointment to speak to an analyst.