Sr Principal Analyst
1 year at Gartner, 33 years industry experience
Location: WA USA | Language(s): English
Roles and Responsibilities
Mark Pohto is a Sr. Principal Analyst in the Technology and Service Provider (TSP) division of Gartner, researching Emerging Technologies and Trends (ETT) for security technology product leaders (tech CEOs, general managers, chief product officers, product managers, and product marketers). Mark is experienced in providing end-to-end physical and logical NIST and ICS based security to mission critical and highly targeted services. Mr. Pohto has over 30 years of experience leading teams to implement and operate information technology with a broad range of activities including development, OS, storage, network, databases, infrastructure and operations, security telemetry, physical and logical security for highest security facilities and hyper-scale services.
Implemented and operated physical and logical security for Microsoft crypto top security facilities to protect public key infrastructure (PKI) based on intelligence community standards (ICS) and NIST. Developed and operated security telemetry feeds and data quality processes for Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center (MSTIC). Leveraged big-data map reduce technology (Cosmos/Data Lake) to facilitate machine learning and AI development. Led and taught database administration and operations at Microsoft and in the extension program at the University of Washington. Developed the Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) program (aka Ranger) for SQL Server. Contributed to peer MCA programs for Exchange, Windows and Active Directory. US Intelligence Community: Conducted SIGINT Operations overseas as a Russian Linguist and lead analyst with the USAF/NSA. Conducted "all source" intelligence analysis at USAF Intelligence HQ. Transitioned into "big data" database programming for the USAF. US Army: Trained and led armored cavalry troops as an officer in the US Army.
- Local Government Cities of Tacoma and Washington, Lead DBA, 5 years
- Microsoft, Principal Security Engineer, 23 years
- Puget Sound Power and Light, Systems Analyst/Developer, 6 years
- Defense Language Institute (Russian)
- Management Information Systems (multiple schools)
- US Army Officer Candidate School (with academic and physical honors)
- Leadership recognition and awards at Microsoft and the US Army. Graduated US Army Officer Candidate School with honors in academics and physical fitness. My platoon received awards for excellence in tactical maneuver.
- Published in Green IT book as contributor.
- Published in multiple database administration books as contributor.
- Published in the Architecture Journal, Virtualization
- Several Design Changes accepted across multiple Microsoft product teams. Received "ShipIT" awards and Executive Briefing Center awards from multiple product divisions.
Team / Peers
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
ANALYST INQUIRY More
Connect With an Analyst
Schedule an appointment to speak to an analyst.