10 years at Gartner, 37 years industry experience
Location: Germany | Language(s): English, German
Roles and Responsibilities
Alex Linden is a Research VP, specializing in data science, machine learning and advanced algorithms. Alex helps clients with making various decisions around data science governance, AI technologies, AI program management. His specialization is to help clients with how to start or expedite their AI / ML journey and how to communicate business value to various stake holders. Furthermore, Alex is co-lead of two major Gartner research streams: Gartner's Hype cycle and Gartner's Use Case Prism.
Prior to rejoining Gartner, Dr. Linden was an entrepreneur, advising The World Bank and Fraunhofer, and he founded two companies himself, one of which, clickworker.com, is still at the forefront of applying microwork (crowdsourcing) to text and image analytics, metadata extraction, and open innovation. Dr. Linden had his first stint at Gartner from 1998 to 2006, where he left as Research VP, Emerging Technologies. During that time, he was worldwide lead on advanced analytics, data mining and semantic technologies, and he initiated Gartner's ongoing series of annual Hype Cycle special reports. Before that, Dr. Linden assumed various midlevel to senior roles at GE and Dresdner Bank as a Data Scientist.
- GE, Senior Data Scientist, 2 years
- GMD German National Lab for Computer Science, Computer Scientist, 5 years
- Gartner, Research VP, Emerging Trends and Technologies, 15 years
- M.S., Computer Science (Computational Linguistics minor), Bonn University
- Ph.D., Machine Learning/Computer Science, Bielefeld University
- Postdoc, UC Berkeley
- GE Management Award 1997 (built in-memory analytics that uncovered $xx million of losses)
- Gartner Silver Award 2003 (initiated annual Hype Cycle Special Report)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship 1994, International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley
Team / Peers
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
12 January 2022Understanding Use Case Prisms for Prioritizing Artificial Intelligence Investments
11 January 2022Toolkit: Discover and Prioritize Your Best AI Use Cases With a Gartner Prism
10 January 2022Uncovering Artificial Intelligence Business Opportunities in Over 20 Industries and Business Domains
ANALYST INQUIRY More
Connect With an Analyst
Schedule an appointment to speak to an analyst.