Distinguished VP Analyst
10 years at Gartner, 22 years industry experience
Location: Houston, TX USA | Language(s): English
Roles and Responsibilities
Rich McAvey is Gartner's Research Vice President for the oil and gas industry. His research examines the impact of digital technologies on the plans and performance of oil and gas companies, focusing on business optimization, business extension, business/IT capabilities and technology management.
Prior to Gartner, Mr. McAvey had 32 years of oil and gas experience at ExxonMobil, Accenture and Marathon Oil, where he held a variety of officer/executive roles. On the business side, he led E&P, midstream, refining, marketing and corporate functions. On the IT side, he led strategy and planning, app development, I&O, and security and served as CIO. He has extensive international experience, managing operations in Australia, Southeast Asia, Japan, Canada, the U.S., South America, Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- ExxonMobil, Multiple Business Executive Leadership Roles, 10 years
- Marathon Oil, Multiple IT Executive Leadership Roles , 7 years
- Reliant Energy, Accenture and others, Multiple Business and IT Executive Leadership Roles, 17 years
- B.S., Engineering, Cornell University
- M.B.A., University of Chicago
- Ph.D., Capella University
RESEARCH BY THIS ANALYST More
31 January 20232023 Oil & Gas Trend: Co-Creating Business Value
31 January 20232023 Oil & Gas Trend: Simpler and Smarter IT Delivers Value and Adaptability
31 January 20232023 Oil & Gas Trend: Enterprisewide Workflow Integration and Automation