4 years at Gartner, 45 years' experience
Location: VA USA | Language(s): English
Roles and Responsibilities
Michael Brown is a VP Analyst in the Government and Education team focusing on strategies for U.S. Federal CIOs with more detailed specialization in the public safety community. Mr. Brown covers IT strategy and governance, shared services, cloud, agile development and case management.
Previously, Mr. Brown served as the Chief Information Officer for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, where he oversaw cloud migration and institutionalization of agile processes, initiated DevOps techniques, modernized financial and human resource systems, and implemented a new case management system for criminal investigators. As the CIO, he led a workforce of 423 federal employees and 1,170 contract staff delivering technology services across an agency of 20,000 employees. He managed a budget of $420M. He was responsible for acquisition, development and operations of all IT and tactical radio systems. He has 41 years of experience in IT in the U.S. Federal government. He has managed the shared services operations for the Department of Homeland Security where he won awards for network transition and data center consolidation efforts. His experience includes managing nationwide IT operations for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Prior to his experience in public safety, he spent 21 years in various civilian and military technology roles for the U.S. Navy.
- Department of Homeland Security Headquarters, Executive Director, IT Services Office, 8 years
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Director, Enterprise Infrastructure Projects Office, 7 years
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Chief Information Officer, 4 years
- - City Colleges of Chicago
- - Navy Campus for Achievement, San Diego, CA
- - Palomar College, San Marcos, CA
- - Southwestern College, Chula Vista, CA
- Senior Executive Program, Columbia Business School, Columbia University
- Undergraduate studies at:
- 2009 General Services Administration Executive Excellence Award for Leading Change
- 2013 Federal 100 Award for Data Center Consolidation