Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Gartner's Pace-Layered Application Strategy can help organizations run an effective, flexible and innovative procurement operation. Use this model to deconstruct the body of applications in your portfolio, and to develop a long-term, dynamic technology plan that fully leverages your IT investments.
Table of Contents
Introduction: The Exploding Scope of Procurement Applications
What Is Pace Layering?
Common Procurement Application Types
What Is Connective Tissue?
- EIM and Analytics
- Business Process Management (BPM)
- Application Architecture and Process Integration
Classifying Procurement Applications to the Right Pace Layer
- Questions to Identify Systems of Innovation
- Questions to Identify Systems of Differentiation
- Questions to Identify Systems of Record
- Applications Migrate Over Time Across Layers
Examples of Pace Layering in Procurement
- Sample Pace Layering for a Large, Progressive Multinational
- Sample Pace Layering for a University or Healthcare Provider
- Sample Pace Layering for a U.S. Federal Agency
- Sample Pace Layering for Regional, Global 2000 Business
Recommendations for Procurement Pace Layers
- Map Your Procurement Portfolio by Pace Layers
- Develop an Application Governance Strategy for Each Layer
- Create Your Connective Tissue Strategy
- Classify New Applications at the Point of Conception
- Guidance for Systems of Innovation
- Guidance for Systems of Differentiation
- Guidance for Systems of Record
- Re-Evaluate Annually
- Introduction: The Exploding Scope of Procurement Applications