Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Organizations are turning toward private platform as a service (PaaS) to gain the benefits of PaaS while avoiding the business and technical risks that come with public cloud computing. Private PaaS allows IT departments to retain control of security and performance characteristics while providing their developers with an agile environment for solution delivery. Enterprises also look to private PaaS as a lever to standardize application infrastructure. This assessment discusses the drivers for private PaaS and different implementation approaches and challenges that organizations will face in this pioneering stage.
Table of Contents
Summary of Findings
Private PaaS Defined
Drivers for PaaS
- Productivity Through Effectiveness and Innovation
- Software Delivery Agility
- Lower Cost of Experimentation
- Productivity Through Abstraction
- Productivity Through Application Services
- Lower Development Skill Barriers
- Cost-Efficient Scalability
- Insight Into Application Characteristics
Specific Drivers for Private PaaS
- Minimize Technical and Business Risk
- Reduce Infrastructure Complexity While Governing Platforms
- Retain Technology and Process Choice
- Maximize Application Hosting Density
- Avoid Cloud Security Challenges
- Retain Control Over Performance Service Levels
Implementing Private PaaS
- What Does a Private PaaS Implementation Look Like?
- Two Private PaaS Implementation Approaches
- Private-PaaS-Enabling Technologies
Comparing the Approaches
Risks and Challenges
- The Horseless Carriage: Still Trotting or Galloping?
- Cultural Resistance to Standardization
- Standardization Complexity
- Legacy Processes
- Competing With Public PaaS Providers
- Private PaaS Defined
Include PaaS in Your Private Cloud Road Map
Assess the Pain Points That PaaS Can Address
Identify Your Minimum Set of Standard Application Platforms
Match Private PaaS Implementation Style With Your Cloud Application Use Cases and Appetite for Innovative Patterns
Build Managed Application Services Around the Platform
Plan for PaaS in a Hybrid Cloud Environment
- Include PaaS in Your Private Cloud Road Map