Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
iPads and other tablets have sparked interest in mobile file sync solutions. Consumer-based solutions are popular, but it's hard to find a secure, easy-to-administer enterprise-grade solution. Research VP Guy Creese offers a set of evaluation criteria to aid in finding the right solution.
Table of Contents
Summary of Findings
Mobile File Synchronization: Why Is It Suddenly Hot?
- User Demand for Anywhere, Anytime Access to Files
- Storage and Broadband Ubiquity
- Vendor Self-Interest
Mobile File Synchronization Use Cases
- Synchronizing Important Files for Mobile Employees
- Consolidating File Share Mechanisms Within the Enterprise
- Enabling Simple, File-Centric Collaboration Inside and Outside the Enterprise
- Making Existing Collaboration Systems Mobile-Friendly
- Synchronizing Employees' Personal Files
Wanted: Ease of Use Plus Enterprise Security and Management
- Consumer Solution Shortcomings
- Evaluation Criteria
Mobile File Synchronization Market
- Market Segmentation
- Typical Product Characteristics
- Market Dynamics
- Market Futures
- Mobile File Synchronization: Why Is It Suddenly Hot?
Gather User Requirements: Segment Users, Asking What They're Using, and Why
Gather IT Requirements: Review Identity, Security, Integration and Other IT Issues
Publish the Requirements: Present Them in Partnership With the Business
Go Tactical: Select a Good Enough Mobile File Sync Solution
Implement the Strategy: Concentrate on Adoption
Do It Again: Continue to Monitor the Market and Use Cases
- Gather User Requirements: Segment Users, Asking What They're Using, and Why
- Delivery Model
- Synchronization Topology
- Synchronization Configuration
- File Synchronization
- Cloud Repository Mechanics
- Citrix Systems
- Oxygen Cloud