Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Small ideas can have a huge impact on enterprise performance. Finding these Little Elephants isn't an act of creative genius, but a formula that any CIO can start executing tomorrow.
Table of Contents
What Is a "Little Elephant"?
Why Focus on the Front Office?
Why Focus on Little Elephants?
The Project-Planning Process in Most IT Shops Is Broken
- Reason 1: Uniqueness Powers the Front Office
- Reason 2: The Front Office Has Smaller Problems
- Reason 3: Microinnovations Offer a Faster Benefits Realization Cycle
- Reason 4: CIO Credibility With Big Projects Doesn't Translate to the Front Office
The Five Rules for Tracking Little Elephants
- Rule 1: Know Thy Business
- Rule 2: Break Rules and Barriers
- Rule 3: Ensure Idea to Impact in Half a Year or Less
- Rule 4: Don't Do All Your Own Thinking
- Rule 5: Test Everything — but Not in the Way You Think
- What Is a "Little Elephant"?