Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Mobile workers hope to use iPads to do the kinds of work they usually do with Microsoft Office only to experience the frustration of mangled files and disappointing functionality. By understanding the capabilities and problems of available solutions, IT can help iPad users increase productivity.
Table of Contents
Summary of Findings
- Comparing Compatibilities
The iPad: A Disruptive Technology Archetype
Who Is Bringing iPads Into the Enterprise, and How Are They Using Them?
- Executives and Management Use Case: The iPad Leading Edge
- The Sales Use Case: Toting a Cool Sales Device
- The Field Workers Use Case: Getting Work Done With a Better Form Factor
- The BYOD Use Case
The Big Question: Why Do People Want to Use iPads to Get Work Done?
The Evolving Content Life Cycle and Device Ecosystem
- The Evolving Ecosystem
- Know Your Scenarios
The Dilemma: No Microsoft Office
But Do People Need Office-Like Tools on the iPad?
- The iPad: A Disruptive Technology Archetype
Research Users' Needs
Select a Suite or Set of Tools Based on Its Use Cases
Know Your Users
- Research Users' Needs
- Lawyers and Executives
- Financial Analysts
- Marketing and Sales
Productivity Tools: Capabilities and Caveats
- Native iPad Apps
- VM-Based Apps
- Microsoft Office Web Apps
- Google Docs and Google Drive
- Apple iWork Suite
- SlideShark: For Special Cases
- Sample Roles