Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
You can't improve your software development processes if you can't empirically determine whether change has been successful. Strong development teams are metrics-driven — you should be as well. This document details the measurement techniques necessary to drive modern development practices.
Table of Contents
Summary of Findings
- Problem Statement
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Understand the Importance of Metrics
Collect Your Metrics
- Step 1: Assess Your Project's Business Value and Risk Tolerance Levels
- Step 2: Assess Your Culture
- Step 3: Assess Your Processes
- Step 4: Assess Your Supportive Infrastructure
- Step 5: Assess Your Architecture Design Maturity
- Step 6: Assess Your Development and Test Maturity
- Establish a Baseline
- Select a Pilot Project and Initiative
Risks and Pitfalls
Teams Don't Properly Define Metrics
Teams Cherry Pick or Avoid Metrics
Teams Don't Analyze Metrics Properly
Teams Don't Periodically Re-establish Baselines
- Teams Don't Properly Define Metrics
Gartner Recommended Reading