Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Retailers, wholesalers, distributors and manufacturers vie for customers by adding order and return fulfillment options; however, this reactive approach will jeopardize profitability. A recent Gartner survey suggests supply chain leaders in multichannel operations should rethink their game plans.
Table of Contents
Companies Are Adding Channels and Services, but Are Not Keeping Up With Consumer Expectations for Choice and Seamlessness
- Fulfillment Services Vary by Product and Location
- Sellers Plan to Remove Consumer Obstacles by Investing in Ways to Manage Returns Across Channels
- Limited Online Product Assortment Will Deter Sales Growth
Without Integration and Automation, Multichannel Companies Underperform
- Online Order Fulfillment Lead Times Are Increasing
- Inadequate Reverse Logistics Efforts Are Costing Companies Money
- Companies Lack Visibility and Flexibility for Effective Cross-Channel Inventory Management
Consistent Views on the Many Important Issues to Be Addressed
Action Items for Supply Chain Leaders of Multichannel Operations
- Companies Are Adding Channels and Services, but Are Not Keeping Up With Consumer Expectations for Choice and Seamlessness
Gartner Recommended Reading