Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Identity proofing is a crucial process necessary to establish and maintain trust in an identity. Available technologies provide varying levels of assurance. Technical professionals need a deeper understanding of identity proofing to better align it with the risks they are looking to mitigate.
Table of Contents
The Identity Proofing Process
Identity Proofing Services
- The Identity Footprint
- Geographic Differences
- Remote vs. In-Person Identity Proofing
- Dealing With Exceptions
- Assurance Considerations
- Privacy Considerations
Integration Patterns for Identity Proofing Services
Evaluating Identity Proofing Providers
- The Identity Proofing Process
Formalize Identity Proofing as an Integral Part of the IAM Program
- Match the Rigor and the Type of the Identity Proofing Process to Risk
- Use a Multipronged Approach to Address Identity Proofing for All Use Cases
- Select an Approach That Provides Good User Experience and Minimizes Failures by Legitimate Users
- Select the Best Integration Model With the Identity Proofing Provider
- Carefully Select Identity Binding Services for Best Long-Term Security
- Use a Differentiated Approach to Identity Proofing
- Formalize Identity Proofing as an Integral Part of the IAM Program
Fundamentals of Identity Proofing
- Why Is Identity Proofing Needed?
Identity Proofing in the Life of an Identity
- Identity Proofing for Different User Constituencies
- Examples From the Real World (See Figure 11 to Figure 15)
Identity Proofing Standards and Frameworks
Related — But Different
Representative Identity Proofing Providers
- Fundamentals of Identity Proofing
Gartner Recommended Reading