Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
This assessment guides technical professionals responsible for application architecture and infrastructure through the benefits and risks of adopting Docker for development and test, continuous integration, production deployment, private PaaS, and cloud portability.
Table of Contents
Use Cases for Docker
- Summary of Use-Case Assessments
- Assessment Criteria
- Use Case 1: Docker for Solo and Team Application Development and Test
- Use Case 2: Docker for Continuous Integration
- Use Case 3: Docker for Production Application Deployment
- Use Case 4: Docker for Creating a Private PaaS
- Use Case 5: Docker for Application Infrastructure and Cloud Portability
- Use Cases for Docker
Containers Are Not Suitable for Every Application
Use Docker in Production If You Have Sophisticated and Agile Operations
Consider Management, Monitoring, Backup, Disaster Recovery and Other Tools as Well as Orchestration
Plan on a Combination of Containers and Virtual Machines
Don't Build a PaaS Yourself Using Docker, but Build Docker Into Your PaaS Strategy
- Containers Are Not Suitable for Every Application
Gartner Recommended Reading