Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
While semantic challenges will persist, existing interoperability standards and networks are sufficient for exchanging high-fidelity patient information. As healthcare providers evolve to real-time health systems, CIOs should prepare for more-sophisticated health information exchange.
Table of Contents
Healthcare Interoperability Will Continue to Challenge CIOs
Interoperability Is a Strategic Imperative
The Paradox of Healthcare Interoperability
Interfacing, Integration and Interoperability
Standards, Networks and Initiatives
- Interoperability Standards
- Interoperability Networks
- Interoperability Initiatives
Key Forward-Looking Interoperability Capabilities
- Prepare for API Redux
- Plan for Universal Identifiers and the National Patient Identifier
- Prepare for IoT Interoperability Challenges
- Leverage Interoperability Networks and Alliances
- Standardize the Use of Standards
- Healthcare Interoperability Will Continue to Challenge CIOs
Gartner Recommended Reading