Not a Gartner Client?
Want more research like this?
Learn the benefits of becoming a Gartner client.
Open-source tools are critical to building the DevOps toolchain. I&O leaders responsible for DevOps must build technical and people skills, implement governance policies, determine the need for commercial support, and integrate open-source tools with the rest of the toolchain.
Table of Contents
Step 1: Create an Open-Source Talent Pool by Hiring and Training Individuals in Open-Source Technologies
- Technical Skills
- Version Control Becomes an Indispensable Skill as I&O Teams Manage Infrastructure as Code
- Nontechnical People Skills
- Need for Collaboration — With Internal Teams and External OSS Community
Step 2: Automate OSS Governance by Implementing Software Composition Analysis and Binary Repository Tools
- Integrating Software Composition Analysis Tools Into the DevOps Workflow
- Scanning for Security Vulnerabilities
- Scanning for License Compliance
Step 3: Determine the Need for Commercial Support by Assessing the Level of Risk and Availability of Internal Skills
Step 4: Incorporate the Right Open-Source Tools Into the DevOps Toolchain Based on the Functional Requirements of the Pipeline
- Step 1: Create an Open-Source Talent Pool by Hiring and Training Individuals in Open-Source Technologies
Gartner Recommended Reading