Sid Deshpande is a Principal Research Analyst covering security infrastructure and services.
Mr. Deshpande advises both technology providers and buyers on security-related topics. His primary areas of focus include:
- Security market opportunity and growth projections: In the context of increased security spending, some markets are growing faster than others. Mr. Deshpande's research helps clients identify key areas of security spending and how security vendors and buyers should contextualize this growth.
- Managed security services (MSS): Skills shortages and technology complexity associated with security monitoring initiatives are causing security buyers to leverage managed security service providers (MSSPs) to better detect and respond to security incidents.
- Cloud access security brokers, or CASBs (cloud security): As organizations move more applications and infrastructure to the cloud, they need to make informed risk-based decisions about securing their cloud deployments. CASB is an emerging technology area that helps organizations secure their usage of cloud environments.
- Security sales and go-to-market strategies (provider-focused): The increased innovation and vendor activity in the security market create new types of competition for security vendors, both on the technology and the go-to-market fronts.
Mr. Deshpande's research helps identify how vendors need to differentiate to stay relevant in this fast-changing and fast-growing space. His secondary areas of focus include:
- CIO strategic priorities
- Distributed denial of service (DDoS)
- Digital risk
Before joining Gartner, Mr. Deshpande's focus was on driving research and advisory projects in the information technology and telecom domains. Key information technology topics he worked on included server virtualization, cloud computing and security.
Top 5 Issues I Help Clients Address
- Enterprise Security Buyers - How does cloud computing affect security technology selection?
- Enterprise Security Buyers - How can organizations adopt managed security services?
- Security Vendors - What's the impact of digital business models on security strategies?
- Security Vendors - What are the emerging trends in cloud access security brokers?
- Security Investors - What are the future directions of security markets?
Top 5 Key Initiatives I Cover
- Market & Competitive Intelligence Management
- New Market Opportunities
- Security and Risk Management Leaders
- Positioning and Messaging