A top challenge for EA leaders is using metrics to demonstrate the business value of enterprise architecture. In this research, we examine and provide examples of metrics enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders must use to define and track the business value of EA.
To build a world-class EA discipline, enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders should:
- Use EA "efficiency" metrics to review, adjust and refine EA program practices.
- Employ EA "effectiveness" metrics to measure the business value of EA.
- Map EA business-value metrics to business-performance metrics.
- Develop the line of sight between EA efforts, business strategy and financial objectives.
- Collaborate with business leaders to define a minimum of five to seven EA business-value metrics to propagate, demonstrate and communicate the business value of EA.