1. How has Emerging & Disruptive Technologies topic evolved since last year? Have you noticed any major changes in the market, strategy or technology?
A: This year, there is a big thrust on megatrends, with many leaders seeking to respond to the risks and opportunities around disruption. Many enterprises are realizing that the leadership, roles and organizational structures that they have are insufficient to disrupt the status quo. This is a key impetus for the new roles we are seeing in enterprises such as Innovation officers and others such as CDOs that have been there for a while.
2. What’s one of the biggest mistakes organizations make when it comes to this topic?
A: They adopt new technologies but do not make sufficient changes in their risk management and operating models. Also, technology adoption alone isn’t sufficient and needs to supplement by culture hacking and empowering the right people. Furthermore, innovation to be truly transformational needs to involve changes across processes, systems, business architecture, strategy and governance.
3. How are IT leaders leveraging this topic to transform their organizations?
A: Organizations with visionary leaders and strong culture are embarking on “creative destruction”, challenging status quo and rearchitecting their platforms (while most others are fine with an incremental change. Strong leadership and an open, innovative culture is often what determines success or failure. Emerging and disruptive technologies are leveraged by IT leaders to drive new business and operating models and drive growth in their organization.
4. Finish this sentence: “If organizations don’t get their digital business transformation right, they will….”
A: Many of them will perish and the others will go through an endless cycle of trying to figure out the right business and operating model and recruit a strong leader to remain relevant. Digital disruptions creates risks and opportunities, which need to be grasped by companies.
5. How attending Gartner IT Symposium/Xpo 2019 will help IT leaders with their priorities and key initiatives?
A: We deliver pragmatic advice to IT leaders on how to be successful with a digital transformation through a holistic prism that covers technology, people, process and culture. Moreover, Gartner events are a great avenue to understand real case studies, innovation playbooks and how successful companies do it.