On October 14th, 2012 Felix Baumgartner, as part of the Red Bull Stratos Team, was the first man to break the sound barrier. The Red Bull Stratos mission resulted in a wide range of scientific findings, including the first physiological data ever captured about a human free-falling faster than the speed of sound. Information collected during the mission will also help to shape the future of aerospace travel, aerospace medicine, and high-altitude escape systems, to name but a few.
- Lifted by the largest helium balloon ever launched.
- Was the first man to break the sound barrier with a max. velocity of: 1,357.6 kmH / 843,6 mph / Mach 1.25
Felix Baumgartner was honoured to receive the following awards in recognition of his accomplishments:
- National Geographic Peoples Choice Adventure of the Year
- Bambi Millenium Bambi
- Top Gear The Men of the Year 2012
- 2013 Laureus World Sports Awards World Action Sportsperson of the Year
- Streamy Awards for digital streaming
- Edwards AFB Flight Test Historical Society Excellence in Aviation Award
- Spike Guys Choice Award Mankind Award
- 2014 International Sportsnight Davos Sportsnight Crystal Special Achievements in Sports
- FAI Gold Parachuting Medal