Data center infrastructure product managers are experiencing disruptive trends associated with edge computing, AIOps, SDI evolution, hybrid cloud and cloud-inspired pricing models. These trends align with specific product manager tasks and, approached correctly, can provide a competitive advantage.
- General-purpose data center infrastructure (DCI) is poorly suited to edge computing architectures.
- Artificial intelligence for operations (AIOps) can enable a DCI product manager to demonstrate unique value — but the window of opportunity is short.
- Software-defined infrastructure (SDI) continues to evolve, but there is no clear path or velocity.
- On-premises infrastructure is being consumed into hybrid IT solutions.
- There is a growing appetite in the market for consumption-based pricing, inspired by public cloud.