How to Measure Energy Consumption in Your Data Center
Published: 08 September 2010
Data center energy usage is increasing rapidly, and measurement is key to managing its growth. It's important to prioritize and select the most-pragmatic places to measure energy in a data center.
Table Of Contents
- The Ideal Approach to Data Center Energy Management
- The Pragmatic Approach to Data Center Energy Management
- Readings That Should Be Taken During the Next 18 Months
- IT Hardware (Server, Networking or Storage Component)
- Electrical Facilities
- Readings More Appropriate for Data Center Operators and Hosting Companies
- Data Center Building Facilities
- Data Center Building
- Readings More Appropriate to a Workload-Based Approach
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.