Hype Cycle for Financial Services Payment Systems, 2011
Published: 27 July 2011
The modernization of payment architectures and the creation of new partnerships and delivery models are reshaping the banks' payment value chains. This Hype Cycle provides key directions on how to navigate this transformation.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- An Integrated Payment Ecosystem to Support a New Payment Value Chain
- Mobile Financial Services: The Case for Thinking Across Silos
- Card Operations: Still at the Center of the Customer Relationship
- Expanding Your Value Chain With New Partnerships and Distribution Models
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Bump P2P Payment Systems
- Application PaaS for Payments
- Mobile Handset Bar-Code-Originated Payment System
- Payment Frameworks
- Payment Decomposition
- EMV Migration (U.S.)
- Retail Payment Portfolio Management Solutions
- Merchant Dashboard
- SEPA Direct-Debit Mandate Management Solutions
- Component-Based Card Management Software
- At the Peak
- Mobile Devices as Payment-Acquiring Terminals
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System, Europe
- ODPP-Payment App Stores
- IBAN/BIC Conversion Applications and Services
- Transaction Banking 2.0
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System — North America
- Enterprise Mobile Financial Services Solutions
- Alternative Card Networks
- Payment Services Hub
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Self-Service Applications for Commercial Customers
- Decoupled Payment System
- Social Network Payment System
- Bank Delivery of Electronic Invoicing Presentment and Payment (EIPP) Solutions
- Rule-Based Commercial Payment Initiation
- Liquidity/Cash-Flow Forecasting Services
- Automated Payment Tracking and Reconciliation Services
- Near-Real-Time Payment Systems in the Single Euro Payments Area
- Online Bank-Enabled Payment (OBEP) System for E-Commerce
- Retail PIVAS Applications for Promotional Activity
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems: North America
- Multipayment Application Instrument
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Europe)
- Biometric Payment System
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System — Japan
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Southeast Asia and India)
- Climbing the Slope
- Contactless Retail Payment System
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Africa)
- Internet Micropayment Systems
- Off the Hype Cycle
- Contactless Transit Retail Payment System, Asia/Pacific
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.