Hype Cycle for Business Use of Social Technologies, 2011
Published: 25 August 2011
This Hype Cycle examines how specific business functions and industries apply social technologies in their contexts. Consider how social technologies are used by the business when evolving your social strategy. Use this report to guide realistic user expectations in light of market hype.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- Pursue Different Business Uses of Social Technology at Different Speeds
- The Priority Matrix
- Off The Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Social Magazines
- Social IT Management
- Social Network Analysis for Healthcare Payer Fraud Detection
- Persona Management
- Social Coupons
- Social Employee Recognition Systems
- Video Content Management and Delivery
- Physician Social Media
- Alumni Community Management
- Customer-Centric Web Strategies
- Social Media Analytics for Retail
- Social TV
- Social BPM
- Social CRM: Social Feedback Management
- HCM in Social Software
- Social-Learning Platform
- Social Recruitment Software
- Social Media Metrics
- At the Peak
- Expertise Location and Management
- Social CRM for Sales
- Group Buying
- Social Software for Retail Employee Collaboration
- Social CRM: Social Marketing
- Social Commerce
- Social Media Marketing Platforms
- Media Discovery and Recommendation Engines
- Social-Learning Platform for Education
- Social CRM: Community Peer-to-Peer Support
- Consumer Social Networks in Government
- Social Media Distribution
- Community Marketing Automotive
- Financial Social Networks
- Social Shopping Sites
- Microblogging for Retailers
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Social Network Payment System
- Social Gaming
- Knowledge Management for Customer Self-Service
- Social Media Consulting
- External Communities in Government
- Climbing the Slope
- Immersive Learning Environments
- Community Reviews
- E-Commerce Web 2.0 Tools for Selling
- Social Media in Education
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.