The 2012 CIO Survey and current business conditions suggest a need to raise enterprise effectiveness quickly, efficiently and flexibly. CIOs are using technology as an “amplifier” to cut internal distortions and strengthen market signals, feedback and the customer experience.
- Business priorities pull CIOs in multiple directions
- Strengthen the customer experience
- Eliminate internal distortions
- Build an enterprise amplifier
Business priorities Pull CIOS in Multiple Directions
- Customers are what connect business strategies across the enterprise
- Case Study: UL — Advancing the enterprise by advancing technology rather than IT
- CIO IT budgets reflect global economic conditions
- Case Study: Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance — Business transformation improves the response to a devastating tsunami
- Government CIOs are concerned with cost, alignment and control
- Case Study: GovtAgencyCo — Reducing costs and creating a platform for growth via the cloud
- CIOs face significant barriers to formulating a broader definition of technology
- Amplification: An analogy for how technology creates value for the enterprise
Strengthen the customer experience
- Apply technologies that amplify the customer experience and the enterprise
- Focus on amplifying the customer experience
- Case Study: Classified Ventures — Applying technology to drive growth
- Mobility is a technology priority over the next three years
- Social media, essential for customer engagement, is at a tipping point
- Case Study: Queensland Police Service — Harnessing social media’s power to improve transparency and community relations
- Externally oriented technologies strengthen the customer experience and enterprise signals
Eliminate internal distortions
- CIO strategies are tuning up for transformation
- Case Study: Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria — Approaching cloud services strategically to simplify platforms and processes while enhancing productivity
- Amplify the right internal connections
- Amplify the support functions that influence enterprise and IT performance
- Case Study: Welspun Group — Transforming IT at the pace of business transformation
- Sustain improvements by enhancing management capability
- Case Study: Corporate Express — Business process transformation moves IT from back-office operations to the front lines of growth
- Eliminating internal distortions amplifies enterprise effectiveness
Build an enterprise amplifier
- Build an effective amplifier by building effective IT
- Amplifying IT starts with amplifying the IT strategy
- Case Study: Tata Motors — Leading through IT strategy
- CIOs must resolve the skills crisis in their IT organizations
- Improved IT and enterprise effectiveness amplifies the CIO’s role
- Case Study: London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games — Being a transformational CIO
- Guide IT’s amplification with the correct set of metrics
- Build an enterprise amplifier
Appendix: Additional data, demographics
- Gartner Executive Programs reports
- Core research
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.