Hype Cycle for Financial Services Payment Systems, 2012
Published: 20 July 2012
Banks have to refine their payment strategies to deliver need-based payment solutions. This Hype Cycle provides key directions on how to invest in the most relevant payment solutions while avoiding wasting resources on solutions looking for a problem.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- Expanding Your Payment Value Chain Via an Integrated Payment Ecosystem
- A Multiwallet Strategy
- No Such Thing as One Mobile Payment System
- Balancing Issuing and Acquiring Innovations
- Adapting to New Business Models
- Transaction Banking 2.0 Not There Yet
- The Priority Matrix
- Off The Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Mobile Digital Payment Advisor
- Bump P2P Payment Systems
- Peer-to-Peer Foreign Exchange Marketplace
- Component-Based Card and Merchant Management
- Application PaaS for Payments
- App Marketplaces
- Mobile Commercial Remote Deposit Capture
- Payment Decomposition
- Retail Payment Portfolio Management Solutions
- Component-Based Payment Switching Software
- Merchant Dashboard
- At the Peak
- SEPA Direct-Debit Mandate Management Solutions
- Trusted Service Manager (TSM) for NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment Systems
- EMV Migration (U.S.)
- Mobile Thick Wallet Solutions
- IBAN/BIC Conversion Applications and Services
- Mobile Thin Wallet Solutions
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System — Europe
- Payment Frameworks
- Digital Thick Wallet Solutions
- Mobile Handset Bar-Code-Originated Payment System
- Transaction Banking 2.0
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Open Development Banking Platforms
- Payment Services Hub
- Self-Service Applications for Commercial Customers
- Mobile Devices as Payment-Acquiring Terminals
- Rule-Based Commercial Payment Initiation
- Liquidity/Cash-Flow Forecasting Services for Bank Commercial Customers
- Alternative Card Networks
- Banking Apps
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System — North America
- Social Network Payment System
- Automated Payment Tracking and Reconciliation Services
- Enterprise Mobile Financial Services Solutions
- Online Bank-Enabled Payment (OBEP) System
- Near-Real-Time Payment Systems in the Single Euro Payments Area
- Decoupled Payment System
- Mobile Consumer Remote Deposit
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (North America)
- Retail PIVAS Applications for Promotional Activity
- Digital Thin Wallet Solutions
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Europe)
- Biometric Payment System
- Multipayment Application Instrument
- Climbing the Slope
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Payment System — Japan
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Southeast Asia and India)
- Contactless Retail Payment System
- OTA Mobile Phone Payment Systems (Africa)
- Internet Micropayment Systems
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.