ERP Training Best Practices
Published: 12 September 2012
Training is a key component of long-term ERP/business application value. Gartner has studied global enterprises that use packaged ERP applications to identify training best practices.
Table Of Contents
- Top 10 ERP/Business Application Training Best Practices
- 1. Follow Adult Learning Methodology
- 2. Deliver Role-/Process-Based Training, Depending on Enterprise Constraints
- 3. Provide End Users With Time to Invest in Training
- 4. Identify and Enforce Mandatory Training
- 5. Use Certification as a Gate for Granting System Access
- 6. Build a Great Training Team
- 7. Couple Training With a Strong Change Management Program
- 8. Gain Commitment From Management and the Project Team, and Ensure That Training Has a Seat at the Project Table
- 9. Engage the Business and Understand Your Customers
- 10. Ensure Superuser Involvement in Training, Pre- and Post-Go-Live
- The Top-Five Training Program Development Best Practices
- 1. Conduct a Needs Assessment Before Developing Training Courses
- 2. Develop and Use Templates and Standards
- 3. Address Business Functions/Processes and System Transactions When Developing Content
- 4. Actively Identify Training Content
- 5. Minimize Course Variations
- Best Practices for Sustaining ERP/Business Application Training
- Assign Training Management and Oversight Responsibility
- Evaluate Existing Training Programs for Continuous Improvement
- Put Training in the Application Support Budget
- Implement a Program for Retaining and Nurturing a Pool of Trainers
- Tips and Tricks for Delivering a Preimplementation Training Program
- Stay Involved With Day-to-Day Project Activities
- Manage Last-Minute Content Changes
- Optimize the Training Delivery Schedule
- Minimize the Use of Hard-Copy Documentation
- Additional Training Considerations
- Match the Training Method to the Worker and the Application
- Design the Training Curriculum to Extend Beyond Technology Requirements
- Have Dedicated Internal Staff Assess Training Needs and Assist in Developing Curricula
- Keep Training Sessions Short
- Create an Enterprise Training Server or Intranet
- Negotiate Training SLAs and Maintain Metrics for Measuring Them
- Best Practices for Outsourcing ERP/Business Application Training
- Manage Outsourced Training Costs
- Manage Outsourced Training Quality
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.