Use a ValueOps Perspective to Balance Risk and Agility in IT Operations
Published: 05 December 2012
IT operations leaders must adapt to increasing business demands for agility. They should look beyond ITIL, and use the ValueOps perspective described here to design a flexible service management environment matched to each IT service.
Table Of Contents
- Use the Techniques Described in This Research to Categorize Your Key Business Services by Pace Layer
- Systems of Record: Low Risk Is Mandatory
- Systems of Differentiation: Requiring Low Risk
- Systems of Differentiation: Requiring Significant Agility
- Systems of Innovation: All Require High Agility
- Considerations for Commercial off-the-Shelf Solutions
- Agree on the Pace Layer Categorization, Service by Service, With the Business and Other Stakeholders
- Design Flexibility Into the Operational Processes to Reflect the Pace Layer Requirements
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.