Balancing the Identity and Risk Equation With Identity Assurance Frameworks
Published: 23 January 2013
Identity is a key enabler of business; it supports both customization and security in today's electronic environment. Understanding identity strength is critical for federation and cloud, but it's often left wanting. Government standards and certifying Trust Framework Providers are closing the gap.
Table Of Contents
Summary of Findings
- Risks of Relying on Identity
- The Life Cycle of Strong Identity
- Identity Assurance Standards
- OMB M-04-04
- NIST SP 800-63-1
- Identity, Credential and Access Management
- Identity Assurance Frameworks
- Kantara Identity Assurance Certification Program
- Open Identity Exchange
- InCommon Identity Assurance Assessment Framework
- Related Initiatives
- Bring Your Own Identity
- Assessor Independence
- High Assurance
- Long Term, Not Short Term
- Process Overhead
- Breadth of Support
- Unclear Business Model
- Embrace the NIST Identity Assurance Standards
- Conduct a Risk Analysis
- Identify the LOA(s) Appropriate for You
- Include Identity Assurance in RFPs
- Evaluate and Select TFPs
- Don't Stop at Identity Assurance
- Phase 1: Proofing
- Phase 2: Credentialing
- Phase 3: Provisioning
- Phase 4: Credential Use
- Phase 5: Credential Verification
- Phase 6: Attribute Use
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.