IT Metrics: IT Spending and Staffing Report, 2013
Published: 01 February 2013
This research contains enterprise-level IT investment, cost and staffing metrics, as well as business productivity ratios for 21 vertical industries, collected throughout 2012 from a global audience. It provides an overall summary of the IT Key Metrics Data: Key Industry Measures published research.
Table Of Contents
- How Does Your IT Organization Stack Up Against the Competition?
- IT Key Metrics Data Research Background
- Using This Research
- Gartner IT Key Metrics Data Series
- IT Key Metrics Data Source
- Data Variations
- 2012 IT Investment Measures
- Total IT Spending/Budget Definition
- Points of Clarification
- IT Intensity
- IT Spending Percent Change, 2011 to 2012
- IT Spending as a Percent of Revenue, 2012
- Agility: Revenue Percent Change Versus IT Spending Percent Change, 2011 to 2012
- IT Spending as a Percent of Operating Expense, 2012
- Agility: Operating Expense Percent Change Versus IT Spending Percent Change, 2011 to 2012
- IT Spending per Employee, 2012
- IT Spending as a Percent of Revenue Versus Operating Profit, 2012
- 2013 Outlook: A Continued Increase in Spending
- IT Spending Percent Change, 2012 to 2013
- IT Spending as a Percent of Revenue, 2013 Projected
- IT Spending as a Percent of Operating Expense, 2013 Projected
- IT Spending per Employee, 2013 Projected
- IT Budget Distributions: Uncover the Facts
- IT Operational Versus Capital Spending
- Strategic IT Spending Categories: IT Spending to Run the Business, IT Spending to Grow the Business and IT Spending to Transform the Business
- IT Spending Distribution: Hardware, Software, Personnel and Outsourcing, 2012
- Distribution of IT Cost by Technology Domain, 2008 to 2012
- IT Portfolio Trends: Staffing
- IT Full-Time Equivalents as a Percent of Employees
- Distribution of IT FTEs: Insourced Versus Contractor, 2012
- Distribution of IT Staff by IT Function
- Distribution of IT Staff by Technology Domain
- Related IT Key Metrics Data Research
- Appendix: Exploring Gartner's Prescriptive Benchmark Analytics Capabilities
- Gartner Benchmark Analytics Select Case Studies
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.