Hype Cycle for Healthcare Provider Applications, Analytics and Systems, 2013
Published: 31 July 2013
This Hype Cycle is a critical input for healthcare leaders in balancing seemingly insatiable healthcare IT demand with limited resources. It offers a timely, objective evaluation of the exploding variety of important applications and analytics innovations tackling healthcare's major challenges.
Table Of Contents
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- 1. Analytics and information requirements take center stage: It's the CIO's — and now the CMIO's — next big thing once Generation 3 EHR adoption is achieved.
- 2. Game-changing new payment models to address escalating demands, and the related cost and care challenges, of chronic diseases create multiple entrepreneurial opportunities for care management and patient engagement.
- 3. Choosing strategic vendors means more than just the EHR.
- 4. HDOs are exploring the value of awareness applications and real-time operations management, as patient throughput and capacity management and LCSTs drive hospital care operations improvement.
- Additions and Adjustments to This Year's Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- "Hot" Technologies, Present and Future
- Warm Technologies
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Patient Decision Aids (Healthcare Provider)
- Quantified Self
- Graph Databases
- At the Peak
- Next-Generation Population Health Analytics
- Care Coordination Applications
- Logical Data Warehouse
- Big Data
- Personal Health Management Tools — Healthcare Providers
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Patient-Centered Medical Home (Healthcare Providers)
- Patient Throughput and Capacity Management
- LCST (Sensor) Application Platforms
- Accountable Care
- Advanced Clinical Research Information Systems
- Computer-Assisted Coding (Hospital)
- Integrated Clinical/Business Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Personal Health Record
- Perioperative Charting and Anesthesia Documentation Within the EHR
- Interactive Patient Care Systems
- Patient Self-Service Kiosks
- Climbing the Slope
- Generation 3 Enterprise Patient Financial Systems (U.S.)
- Patient Portals
- EDISs as Integrated Modules of EHR Systems
- EHR-Integrated Critical Care IS
- Healthcare Provider E-Visits
- Entering the Plateau
- Real-Time Healthcare Temperature/Humidity Monitoring
- Remote ICU
- U.S. Ambulatory Electronic Medical Records
- Wireless Healthcare Asset Management
- Computer-Based Physician Order Entry
- Generation 3 Electronic Health Record Systems
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.