Market Trends: Managed Security Services, Worldwide, 2013
Published: 30 August 2013
Managed security service providers continue to transform themselves, while product managers and marketers struggle to find ways to distinguish offerings as advanced threats and manufacturer-based MSSP services emerge.
Table Of Contents
- Market Drivers
- Security Risks to Information Systems Are Expanding at a Rapid Rate, Often Overcoming Organization Resources and Talent
- Compliance Mandates Continue to Provide Support for MSS Growth
- Market Inhibitors
- Customer Service Quality and Security Expertise May Not Always Match Customer Expectations
- Some MSS Clients Prefer Local or Regional Services Due to Concerns Regarding Government Access to Sensitive or Private Information and Proper Compliance With Data Protection Laws
- Integration of Commercial Monitoring Tools and Multiple Self-Developed Web Portals Continue to Present Service Delivery and Quality Challenges
- Current Trends
- Providers Address Compliance Mandates and Customer Data Protection Concerns With ISO Security Standards and External SSAE 16 Audits
- Global MSSPs Face Competitive Pressure as Competitors Match Core Capabilities and New "Direct" Technology Provider Service Offerings Emerge
- Emerging Trends
- Organizations Seeking Ways to Consolidate and Reduce Costs for Network Security Technology
- Enterprise Organizations Shift Their Focus Toward Advanced Persistent Threats and Technologies
- Managed Fraud Prevention Services Emerging in Some MSS Offerings
- Strong Customer Interest Seen for DDoS Services, Especially in Financial Institutions
- Market Structure Trend
- Market Consolidation and Expansion Ensue Amid Strong MSS Growth Throughout the Globe
- Buyer Trends
- Enterprise Buyers Prefer MSSPs With Strong Security Controls and Audit Transparency
- MSS Buyers Shift Away From the Stand-Alone IT Security Buyer and Expand to the Network Infrastructure Teams and the Business
- Regional Trends
- North American and European Union Growth Being Fueled by DDoS, ATAs and an Expansion of Monitoring Beyond Priority Systems
- Expansion of Managed Security Solutions in Both the Mature Asia/Pacific and in the European Union
- Technology Trends
- MSSs Add Reputation Feeds and Blacklists to Enhance Customer Event Data With External Security Context
- Demand Seen Ahead for Managed Mobile Device Security Services as BYOD and Mobility Initiatives Mature
- Security Monitoring Services Expand to Include Network Behavioral Monitoring Using Network Flow Analysis
- Advanced Threat Protection Appliances Enter the MSSP Market
Vendors to Watch
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.