Top Industries Predicts 2014: The Pressure for Fundamental Transformation Continues to Accelerate
Published: 04 October 2013
Most industries face accelerating pressure for fundamental transformation, including embracing digitalization to survive and stay competitive. Enterprises must respond immediately to build the right business and IT road map for future market demands.
Table Of Contents
- Strategic Planning Assumptions
- What You Need to Know
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2016, poor return on equity will drive more than 60% of banks worldwide to process the majority of their transactions in the cloud.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By YE17, at least seven of the world's top 10 multichannel retailers will use 3D printing technologies to generate custom stock orders.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2017, more than 60% of government organizations with a CIO and a chief digital officer will eliminate one of those roles.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2017, 40% of utilities with smart metering solutions will use cloud-based big data analytics to address asset-, commodity-, customer- or revenue-related needs.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By YE15, inadequate ROI will drive insurers to abandon 40% of their current customer-facing mobile apps.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: Full-genome sequencing will stimulate a new market for medical data banks, with market penetration exceeding 3% by 2016.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2016, 60% of U.S. health insureds will know the procedure price and provider quality rating of shoppable medical services in advance.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: Through 2017, K-12 online education spending will increase at least 25%, while budgetary constraints will keep spending on traditional instructional categories stagnant.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2018, 20% of the top 100 manufacturers' revenue will come from innovations that are the result of new, cross-industry value experiences.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2018, 3D printing will result in the loss of at least $100 billion per year in intellectual property globally.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2017, 15% of consumers will respond to context-aware offers based on their individual demographics and shopper profiles.
- Strategic Planning Assumption: By 2015, 80% of life science organizations will be crushed by elements of big data, exposing poor ROI on IT investments.
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.