Mobile is effecting marketing in four areas: location-based marketing, consumer-style mobile apps, integration with sales applications and access to marketing app functionality. IT leaders must be in front of demand to support marketing departments with leading-edge technology.
Impacts and Recommendations
- Location-based or context-aware marketing will require IT leaders to integrate with campaign management and evaluate security and privacy capabilities
- Consumer mobile applications for marketing require development skills and ongoing support from IT leaders
- Delivering rich-media content on mobile sales devices will require IT leaders to integrate between marketing resource management and sales applications
- IT leaders need to evaluate mobile access to marketing applications as a user requirement
- Mobile technology developments will require IT leaders to educate marketing on mobile IT
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.