Organizations should consider a structured approach to gathering requirements, evaluating technical alternatives and planning user support to securely access IT services over a mix of networks. No single technical approach to securing endpoint communication is best-suited to all use cases.
- Determining Whether a Network Should Be Fully Trusted
- Characterizing the Trustworthiness of a Network
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Assess Business and IT Requirements
- Is There a Compliance Requirement?
- Impact of Other IT Initiatives
- Participation on the Project Team
- Assess the Impact on the Current Architecture
- Evaluate Alternative Approaches
- Layer 2 Security
- Layer 3 Security
- Application Layer Secure Access
- Choosing Between Secure Communication Approaches
- Set the Strategy for Securing Broader Mobile Device Access
- Leveraging the Secure Wireless Infrastructure
- The Role of the MDM System
- Always On, Autostart and VPN on Demand
- Determine the Policy for and the Approach to the Use and Inspection of Encrypted Tunnels
- Inspection at VPN Gateways
- Intermediary Inspection Points and Cascading Tunnels
- End-to-End Secure Sessions
- Inspecting Encrypted Layer 2 Traffic
- Establish a Timeline and Migration Strategy
- Managed Mobile Device Planning Considerations
- IPv6 Planning and Migration Considerations
- Cloud Delivery Model Considerations
- Windows OS Considerations
- Upgrading the Data Center Network Switches
- Planning for Virtualized Endpoints
- Monitoring, Inspection and Compliance Considerations
Risks and Pitfalls
- A Lack of Clear Sponsorship and Funding
- Early-Adopter Technology Risk
- The Complexity of Too Many Interdependencies
- Multiple Solutions and Inconsistent Controls
- Trade-Offs Between Confidentiality and Policy Enforcement
- Managing Endpoint Risk
- Maturity and Migration Risks
- IPv6 Risks
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.