This Hype Cycle report evaluates 41 server technologies in terms of their business impact, adoption rate and maturity level to help users decide where and when to invest.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Power Adaptive Algorithms
- BYOS — Build Your Own Server
- Silicon Photonics
- Software-Defined Compute
- Machine Learning Server Hardware
- Digital Signal Processor Acceleration
- Quantum Computing
- Instruction Set Virtualization
- In-Memory Computing (IMC)-Optimized Servers
- Server Power Capping
- Open Compute
- At the Peak
- Server-Dedicated GPUs
- High-Temperature Servers
- Fabric-Based Computing
- Heterogeneous Architectures
- Integrated Systems: Stack
- Server Digital Power Module Management
- Processor Emulation
- Virtual Machine Resilience
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Extreme Low-Energy Servers
- High-Density Racks (>100 kW)
- V2P Server Management
- VM Energy Management Tools
- Server Provisioning and Configuration Management
- Advanced Server Energy Monitoring Tools
- Linux on RISC
- Multinode Servers
- Data Center Container Solutions
- FPGA Application Acceleration
- Climbing the Slope
- x86 Servers With Greater Than Eight Sockets
- Integrated Systems: Infrastructure
- Graphics Card Application Acceleration
- Server Repurposing
- Server Virtual I/O
- Offload Engines
- Shared OS Virtualization (Nonmainframe)
- Linux on Four- to 16-Socket Servers
- Liquid Cooling
- Entering the Plateau
- HPC-Optimized Server Designs
- Linux on System z
- Mission-Critical Workloads on Linux
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.