The Internet of Things has the potential to transform industries and the way we live and work. This Hype Cycle helps enterprises assess the levels of risk, maturity and hype that are associated with a transformative trend.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- A Perspective on Public Sector and the IoT
- A Perspective on the Industrial Sector and the IoT
- A Perspective on Business Enterprises and the IoT
- A Perspective on Consumer-Centered Enterprises and the IoT
- Core IoT Challenges: Who Owns Data, and Who Has the Relationship With the Customer?
- IoT Security Lags in Maturity Compared to Other IoT Technologies
- Changes From Last Year
- The Priority Matrix
- On the Rise
- Digital Security
- Smart Dust
- Licensing and Entitlement Management
- Smart Workspace
- Ambient Energy Harvesters for the Internet of Things
- Connected Home
- IoT Platform
- Operational Intelligence Platforms
- Quantified Self
- Embedded Software and Systems Security
- Internet of Things in Insurance
- Decisions and Recommendations as a Service
- Message Queue Telemetry Transport
- Machine Learning
- At the Peak
- High-Performance Message Infrastructure
- Smart City Framework
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Internet of Things for Government
- IT/OT Integration
- Context Delivery Architecture
- iBeacons and Bluetooth Beacons
- Intelligent Business Operations
- Sensor Fusion
- Smart Transportation
- Home Energy Management/Consumer Energy Management
- Internet of Things
- Low-Cost Development Boards
- Consumer Smart Appliances
- Internet of Things for Manufacturing Operations
- Wearable User Interfaces
- Wireless Power Charging
- Bluetooth 4
- Complex-Event Processing
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Big Data
- Facilities Energy Management
- Operational Technology Security
- Asset Performance Management
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Machine-to-Machine Communication Services
- Mobile Health Monitoring
- Operational Technology Platform Convergence
- Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Communications
- Enterprise Manufacturing Intelligence
- Climbing the Slope
- RFID for Logistics and Transportation
- Consumer Telematics
- Entering the Plateau
- Wireless Healthcare Asset Management
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.