This Hype Cycle evaluates 41 storage-related hardware and software technologies in terms of their business impact, adoption rate and maturity level to help users decide where and when to invest.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- I/O Optimization
- Read/Write Flash Caching
- Solid-State DIMMs
- File Analysis
- Copy Data Management
- Open Source Storage
- Software-Defined Storage
- At the Peak
- Cloud-Based Backup Services
- Information Dispersal Algorithms
- Integrated Backup Appliances
- Virtual Storage Appliance
- Object Storage
- Data Wiping
- Linear Tape File System (LTFS)
- Online Data Compression
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Hybrid DIMMs
- Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery Services
- Cloud Storage Gateway
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup
- Virtual Machine Backup and Recovery
- Emerging Data Storage Protection Schemes
- Cross-Platform Structured Data Archiving
- Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing (EFSS)
- Solid-State Arrays
- Public Cloud Storage
- Automatic Storage Tiering
- Storage Cluster File Systems
- Storage Multitenancy
- Fibre Channel Over Ethernet
- SaaS Archiving of Messaging Data
- Climbing the Slope
- Appliance-Based Replication
- Enterprise Information Archiving
- Data Deduplication
- Continuous Data Protection
- Storage Resource Management
- External Storage Virtualization
- Data Encryption Technologies, HDDs and SSDs
- Bare-Metal Restore
- Thin Provisioning
- Entering the Plateau
- Enterprise Solid-State Drives
- Server-Based Replication
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.