This Hype Cycle reflects how IT is impacting the way discrete manufacturers continuously improve the ways they define, design, manufacture, and service products and product portfolios.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- Nexus of Forces and Digital Business
- Nexus of Forces
- Software-Enabled Physical Parts and Systems
- 3D Printing
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Intellectual Property Protection (3D Printing)
- Voxel-Based Ecosystems
- Product Innovation Platforms
- Supply-Chain-Enabled PLM
- Enterprise Laboratory Informatics
- Industrial 3D Printing
- At the Peak
- Cloud Computing in Manufacturing Operations
- IT/OT Convergence in Manufacturing
- MRO PLM Functionality
- Cloud-Based PLM Applications
- Innovation Management Technology for Product Development
- Model-Based Manufacturing
- Synchronized Bills of Materials
- MPM Frameworks
- Sliding Into the Trough
- System Engineering Software
- Operations Intelligence
- Sustainable Design PLM
- Asset Performance Management
- Product Cost Management
- Scientific Text Analytics and Annotators
- Mobility in Manufacturing Operations
- Simulation and Test Data Management
- Supplier Quality Management Applications
- SOA in Manufacturing Operations
- Enterprise Manufacturing Intelligence
- ISA-95 Integration Standards
- PLM-Centric Idea Management
- Real-Time SPC Applications
- Electronic Laboratory Notebook
- Climbing the Slope
- Product Safety and Compliance
- Product Portfolio and Program Management
- Quality Process Management Applications
- 3D Print Creation Software
- Customer Needs Management
- Label and Artwork Management
- R&D Analytics
- Enterprise 3D Printing
- MES Applications
- Modeling, Simulation and Virtual Prototyping
- Value-Chain-Centric PDM
- 3D Scanners
- PLM-Centric Team Collaboration
- CAD-Centric Design Data Management
- Parts and Materials Search and Selection
- Plant Engineering and Design
- Entering the Plateau
- 3D Printing for Prototyping
- Process Data Historians
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.