The smart grid is a vision of a future electricity delivery infrastructure that improves network resilience, empowers consumers and addresses sustainability concerns. Smart grid is an incubator for a spectrum of technologies that demand utility CIOs' and IT leaders' close attention.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Energy Efficiency Gamification
- UAS for Utilities
- Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging
- IMC-Enabled Hybrid Transaction/Analytical Processing
- At the Peak
- Meter Data Analytics
- Consumer Energy Storage
- Home Energy Management/Consumer Energy Management
- Big Data in Energy and Utilities
- EV Charging Infrastructure
- Smart Appliances
- Complex-Event Processing
- Consumption Analytics
- Networking IT and OT
- Sliding Into the Trough
- BPM for Utilities
- Combined Heat and Power
- Social for CRM for Utilities
- Home-Area Network
- Advanced Distribution Management Systems
- Operational Technology Security
- Distributed Generation
- Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles/Electric Vehicles
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Customer Gateways
- Phasor Measurement Units
- Demand Response Management Systems
- CIM-Driven Integration Standards
- Flexible Alternating Current Transmission Systems
- Broadband Over Power Lines
- Energy Storage (Grid Support)
- Climbing the Slope
- Advanced Distribution Protection and Restoration Devices
- Intelligent Electronic Devices
- Meter Data Management
- Energy Storage (UPS/Power Quality)
- RF Networks for Utility Field Applications
- Entering the Plateau
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.