So much hype abounds about big data — and its effect on information infrastructure — that it's hard to know how to effectively exploit its potential. Here we explode nine of the most important myths to help information management leaders evolve their information infrastructure strategies.
- Myth No. 1: Everyone Is Ahead of Us in Adopting Big Data
- Myth No. 2: We Have So Much Data, We Don't Need to Worry About Each Little Data Flaw
- Myth No. 3: Big Data Technology Will Eliminate the Need for Data Integration
- Myth No. 4: It's Pointless Using a Data Warehouse for Advanced Analytics
- Myth No. 5: Data Lakes Will Replace the Data Warehouse
- Myth No. 6: Hadoop Will Replace the Data Warehouse
- Myth No. 7: Big Data Technology Is Mature and You Can Engage Without Risk
- Myth No. 8: The Impact of Big Data Is Unprecedented in IT
- Myth No. 9: Big Data Does Not Need to Worry About Information Governance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.