Mobile phone companies and image sensor companies need to understand and track camera module technologies and market trends. Mobile phone companies require much thinner form factors in camera modules to make smartphones thinner. Wearable devices will also need smaller and thinner camera modules.
- Smartphone Companies Require Thinner Camera Modules
- Image Sensors, Lenses and an Autofocus Mechanism Are Important
- Image Sensors Contribute to Reduced Chip Sizes
- Lenses Are Growing in Number and Getting Thinner
- Autofocus in Smartphones Is a Simple Mechanical Process
- Lens Vendors
- Camera Module Vendors
- Technology Trends
- Lens Technology Turns Toward a Casting Process
- Autofocus Will Speed Up With Micro-Electromechanical Systems
- Manufacturing Technology Innovates for Thinner Products
Vendors to Watch
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.