Vendor Rating: Microsoft
Published: 17 October 2014
Mark R. Gilbert,
Jennifer S. Beck,
Robert P. Desisto,
Microsoft provides software, cloud services and hardware for computing, collaboration and gaming to enterprises and consumers. Microsoft's transition to a "cloud first, mobile first" strategy under new CEO Satya Nadella aspires to thought leadership commensurate with its strong market position.
Table Of Contents
What You Need to Know
- Analyst Comments
- Corporate Viability
- Strategy: Positive
- Organization: Positive
- Financial: Strong Positive
- Marketing: Strong Positive
- Pricing Structure: Caution
- Market Offerings
- Client Windows, Mobility and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Windows Client: Positive
- Embedded Systems: Positive
- Internet Explorer: Positive
- Azure Intelligent Systems Service: Promising
- Enterprise Mobility Suite: Promising
- Windows Server, Data Center and Cloud
- Windows Server: Strong Positive
- Availability: Promising
- Virtualization and Hyper-V: Positive
- IT Operations and Cloud Management: Promising
- Microsoft Azure: Positive
- Office Tools and Collaboration
- Office 365: Positive
- Office Suite: Strong Positive
- SharePoint: Positive
- Yammer: Positive
- Exchange: Strong Positive
- Enterprise Search: Positive
- Lync and Skype: Strong Positive
- Information and Apps
- Information Management: Positive
- BI and Analytics Platform: Positive
- Dynamics CRM: Positive
- Dynamics ERP Portfolio: Positive
- Windows Phones and Other Hardware: Promising
- Surface: Promising
- Xbox and Kinect: Positive
- Retail Channel: Promising
- Developer Tools
- Development and Design Platform and Toolset: Strong Positive
- .NET Framework: Strong Positive
- Customer Service/Support
- ISV Partnerships: Promising
- Channel Partnerships: Positive
- Hardware OEM Partnerships: Positive
- Support/Account Management: Positive
- Consulting and Professional Services: Positive
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.