DCIM vendors offer a bewildering array of products and options. Our best practice entails first evaluating DCIM vendors, products, and environment fits separately — then combining the three evaluations into a single "score."
- To Evaluate DCIM Vendors, Customize Our DCIM Magic Quadrant to Your Situation
- Customer Experience: Always Obtain Customer References and, in Most Cases, Insist on a Proof of Concept
- Market Responsiveness/Pricing: Choose Your Best Pricing Option and Ensure That There Are No "Hidden" Costs
- To Evaluate DCIM Tools, Determine Your "Critical Capabilities"
- Select a DCIM Tool That Best Conforms to Your Environment
- Determine Which DCIM Tools Fit Your Market Segment
- Determine Who Will Be Using the DCIM Tool
- Assess Best Fit to Your Data Center Environment
- Ascertain Your DCIM Entry Point
- Recognize That DCIM Is Not a Stand-Alone Tool; What Support Service Do You Need?
- Use Gartner's Overall Scoring Mechanism to Combine Vendor, Product and Environment Evaluations
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.