Business outcome owners often underestimate the links among metrics, behavior, organizational culture and their impact on effective decision making. Recognize this fact, and design metrics that drive the desired behaviors and improve the organization's chances of successfully executing its strategy.
- Start With Organizational Culture to Design Better Metrics
- Identify the Cultural Traits and the Behaviors You Want to Drive
- Avoid the Worst Practice of Using Metrics as Punishment
- Choose Metrics That Support a Positive Organizational Culture and Reinforce the Desired Behaviors
- Recognize How Our Brains React to Change and Measurement
- Incorporate an Understanding of the Emotional Side of the Brain Into Cultural Values to Improve Performance in the Face of Change
- Design Metrics That Drive Desired Behaviors and Emotions
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.