Many enterprises still struggle with the steps necessary to ensure successful implementation of a mobile app development plan. We examine a series of steps that enterprise app development leads should follow to ensure success.
- Identify the Stakeholders With a Vested Interest in Mobilization
- Align Your Mobile Application Plan With Your Business Strategy
- Define Your Purpose for Deployment of Mobile Applications, and Consider How You Will Measure Success
- Develop Use Cases and the Needs Definitions Associated With Them
- Assess Current Market Trends to Assess How Your Enterprise Compares With the Overall Market
- Define the Desired Benefits Expected as a Result of Developing and Deploying Mobile Apps
- Setting the Scope
- Define the Initial App Portfolio, and Decide Whether It Will Include B2E Apps, B2C Apps or Both
- Define the Services to Be Deployed, and Prioritize and Rank Them
- Segment Your User Base, Including Employees and Consumers if Appropriate
- Determine Which Platforms and Operating Systems You Want to Support With Your Mobile Apps
- Assessing Resources
- Assess the Current Capabilities of Your Organization to Develop and Support Mobile App Development
- Assess Your Current Portfolio of Applications and Determine Which Need to Be Mobilized
- Evaluate the Need to Integrate Mobile Apps With Back-End Databases and Applications
- Define Security Concerns, Such as the Need for Enterprise Mobility Management Solutions, and Encryption and Location of Data Assets
- Determine Whether the Supported Mobile Devices With B2E Mobile Apps Will Be Enterprise-Issued or Part of a BYO Program
- Determine Whether Your Enterprise Will Develop Mobile Apps Internally or Outsource Development to a Third Party
- Define the Elements of the Mobile Application Architecture
- Determine Whether You Will Develop Mobile Apps Using Commercial Mobile App Development Frameworks, Rapid Mobile App Development Tools, Web Adaptation Tools or Open-Source Tools
- Assess the Need for Mobile App Enhancement Technologies, Such as Indoor Location, Gamification and Augmented Reality Elements, in Your Applications
- Define Your Deployment Strategy for Distributing Your Mobile Apps
- Identify the Testing Tools and Services Needed in Development of Mobile Apps, Ensuring All Testing Aspects Are Addressed (Including Device, Functional, Performance, Load and Usability Testing)
- Determine the Life Cycle Management Tools Needed for Postdeployment App Management
- Determine the Analytics Tools Needed for Ongoing Assessment of the Effectiveness of Your Mobile Apps
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.