Published: 23 April 2015
IT organizations' application strategies often aren't dynamic enough to handle changes in technology, the complexities of business demands and industry-specific requirements. Application leaders can use Gartner's Pace-Layered Application Strategy to differentiate the business and drive innovation.
Included in Full Research
- The Uncomfortable Conversation Between IT and the Business
- What Are Pace Layers?
- Nine Steps to Implementing a Pace-Layered Application Strategy
- Step 1. Engage the Business
- Step 2. Define/Review the Business Capability Model
- Step 3. Segment Business Capabilities Among Layers
- Step 4. Create an Applications Inventory
- Step 5. Associate Each Application With the Business Capability It Supports
- Step 6. Assess the Fitness and Value of Applications
- Step 7. Define/Adapt the Governance Models to Fit the Objectives of the Application Strategy
- Step 8. Establish Connective Tissue to Deal With the Dynamics Across Layers
- Step 9. Regularly Measure the Impact of the Pace-Layered Application Strategy
- Bottom Line