The era of the monolithic enterprise content management system is over. ECM program managers must build a strategy and a portfolio of solutions to address the spectrum of user needs and enterprise requirements when it comes to content management.
Impacts and Recommendations
- The growing diversity of content types and uses, coupled with users' desire to interact with content in new ways, puts pressure on IT leaders to continually evolve their ECM strategies and toolsets
- Use Case 1: Trusted Systems of Record
- Use Case 2: Transactional Content Management
- Use Case 3: Digital Workplace Support
- Employees that adopt their own content tools and applications for a consumer-like experience and ease of use skirt existing governance policies and undermine ECM strategies
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.