Architects who design and build great Web APIs need a complete set of tools to streamline and optimize the development life cycle. With the right tools to design Web APIs "contract first," you can use API definitions to drive documentation, code generation, testing and monitoring.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Assess Your API Developer Personas and Scenarios
- Assess Technology Preferences and Constraints
- Define Your API Delivery Life Cycle and the Roles That Deliver It
- Step 1: Select an API Definition Format
- API Definition Is Not Just for API Documentation
- The API Definition Options
- Step 2: Select Tools to Optimize Your API Design
- Select Payload Formats for Hypermedia APIs
- Select Tools to Make Your API Design Process More Productive
- Step 3 Select Tools to Optimize Your Service Implementation
- Accelerate Service Implementation With Server Code Generation
- Improve the Developer Experience With Generated Client SDKs
- Use Service Virtualization to Decoupled Service and Consumer Developer
- Step 4: Select Tools to Validate and Improve the Quality of Your API
- Select Tools to Help Your Developers With Ad Hoc API Testing
- Select Tools for Your Automated API Testing
- Step 5: Select Tools to Help You Support, Improve and Manage Your Live API
- Monitor What Your Users Experience With API Monitoring Services
- Deliver a Great Web API With API Management Capabilities
Risks and Pitfalls
- De Facto Standards and Sponsored Formats
- Open-Source Tooling With Limited Support
- Overcomplicating the Toolbox
- Focusing on Tooling Rather Than Good Design
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.